The Master’s degree in Literacy is ideal for educators and full-time professionals who are interested in becoming literacy specialists.
Students who complete the program will fulfill the academic requirements for New York State Certification in both Birth-Grade 6 and Grades 5-12.
All applicants to the MS program in Teaching Literacy must have:
- Completed a baccalaureate degree from an accredited academic institution (official transcript must be submitted).
- A minimum grade point average of 3.0 (on a 4-point scale).
- Prior state certification in any area of teaching.
- Quality of writing as evidenced in a statement of intent
- Minimum of 550 (213 on the computer based test) on the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL). This requirement applies to an applicant whose native language is not English. It may be waived provided there is alternative evidence of proficiency in English.
- All applicants who plan to enroll in our teacher education programs after July 1, 2016, must submit their Graduate Record Examination (GRE) official score report. It will be another criterion within a candidate's application that each program weighs appropriately. Touro’s GRE test code is 2902.
The above criteria will be applied flexibly provided there is alternative evidence of aptitude for graduate study.