ELA - Writing Blended Learning Instructor/Mentor for Elementary
The instructor supports and instructs academically talented students enrolled in New York Edge elementary school programs. The Blended Model requires the instructor to provide both online support as well as direct face to face instruction. He/she will be responsible for lesson development, implementation of enrichment activities aligned with the online curriculum, projects to support student learning aligned with the online curriculum, daily supervision of students, record keeping and reporting, assist with the planning and organizing special events associated with the program, communicate all challenges and accomplishments to the coordinator. Applicants must be capable of providing 1:1 Academic mentoring within the framework of the instructional program. Instructors must be able to be innovators with the ability to challenge students with new ideas to foster independent learning. All applicants must be able to function as a part of a team inclusive of a Blended Learning ELA - Writing Instructor/Mentor, a Blended Learning Math Instructor/Mentor and a Student/Family Mentor (licensed School Counselor).
Essential Job Functions:
- Parental communication and support regarding student progress and project opportunities
- Provide support to students in the assigned grade who are taking Online Courses
- Provide direct classroom instruction in ELA and Writing to students as part of the blended model
- Monitor student progress and assist students in accomplishing established learning objectives.
- Interact with students using technologies and direct classroom based instruction/support
- Provide timely feedback to students and their parents on coursework and progress
- Communicate with students, parents, school leadership, IT, program administrators and supervisor to resolve any course related issues
- Provide ongoing Academic Mentoring in a supportive after-school environment
- Engage in effective communication and support as a member of a team focused on student growth
- Submit hours worked via established system according to schedule.
- Minimum of 5 years combined online and classroom instruction with Elementary school students.
- Excellent communication skills
- Experience working with students from diverse backgrounds
- Must have a significant understanding of Online education technologies such as Moodle, Adobe Connect and Skype
- Understanding of Artificial Intelligence (AI) and how it contributes to self-paced online learning
Internal and external contacts required as part of the job:
The ELA Instructor/Academic Mentor must engage in a collaborative relationship with the Director, supervisors, online administrators and other key staff (Student/Family Mentor and Math Instructor). Frequent contact with students, NYE/School, and parents via telephone, email, and web-based virtual meeting rooms is expected.
- Master’s Degree is required
- Minimum of 5 years teaching experience; 6-8 teaching certification is preferred. A Bachelor’s Degree with similar credentials may be acceptable
- Math teaching experience is helpful
- Experience working with academically talented students is helpful
- Bilingual Spanish is a plus
Additional (graduate) education may substitute for experience to the extent permitted: No more than 18 graduate degree credits may substitute for one year of experience within the subject area and/or Education
- Work hours will be consistent Monday through Friday with potential for some weekend or evening scheduled activities or events
Physical Requirements for the job:
Ability to access and transmit information using a computer
The instructor will be required to communicate regularly face to face with students and must be able to exchange accurate and timely information in this setting.
Work hours will be consistent Monday through Friday with potential for some weekend or evening scheduled activities or events.
All applicants must be interviewed, provide a sample lesson plan and either a video or demo lesson.
Applicants must be authorized to work and be based in the U.S.
All employees participating in or serving children in New York Edge programs must participate in mandatory Child Abuse Prevention online training on the appropriate conduct around children, protecting children from abuse and neglect, and reporting of known or suspected child abuse and neglect.
All school based New York Edge employees must receive all appropriate City and NY State clearances.
New York Edge offers students in grade 3 challenging academic coursework throughout the year.
The rate of pay is $50/hr.
*New York Edge is looking for PT Afterschool Program Director and PT Assistant Director.
To apply, please visit our website at newyorkedge.org/careers
At time of offer and acceptance, the job requires safety and security clearances through the Department of Education.
New York Edge is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer.
Disclaimer: The statements herein are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by the employee in this position. These statements are not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, and skills required of a person in this position.