The East Side House program in the Bronx is Hiring for Multiple Positions
The Family Worker is under supervision of the Family Service Coordinator & Assistant Director of Family Services. East Side House Settlement Head Start/ Early Head Start Program is an Early Learn program that serves children 2-5 years old and their families. Tasks will include but not limited to:
- Interview all guardians of students for registration, to identify social service needs of the children and their parents, and to make appropriate referral of the family to community resources.
- Conduct home visits at least twice per year for assigned students.
- Submission of monthly attendance reports.
- Monitor, report and follow up of children’s attendance.
- Maintain updated children’s records, child tracking systems.
- Develop and monitor Family Partnership Agreements that describe the family’s goals, strengths, responsibilities and timetables and strategies for achieving these goals.
- Escort parents to community agencies
- Translate for the parents as necessary
- Making phone contacts and referrals to community agencies
- Function as a guide and advocate in helping to secure needed social services for the family
- Assist parents with developing an active parent participation program. Tasks will include but not limited to:
- Welcoming all parents to the centers daily
- Arranging daily refreshments and setting up parents’ room
- Communicating the center’s programs to the parents, community leaders, agency representatives, and other interested community members
- Taking initial responsibility for arranging parent’s activities according to Head Start guidelines. Assisting in scheduling and conducting class committee meetings
- Helping to recognize and develop leadership within the parent’s group, to enable them to elect officers and representatives on all levels
- Enabling elected officers to assume leadership in developing a meaningful parent program, and affording all parents an opportunity for decision making on educational, cultural, recreational, and social action activities
- Acting as a resource person to the parents in all their activities.
- Ensures the safety and well-being of children/participants by being diligent in engagement, attentive to their needs, cognizance of surroundings, and capable of administering immediate assistance as needed.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to stand for long periods of time, bend and lift without restrictions or assistance.
- IT skills to record and maintain accurate data. IT skills to communicate in an office that uses Microsoft Office applications
- The ability to maintain expert knowledge of local services and provision
- Excellent communication, listening and advocacy with/for children, young people, and families.
- Flexibility and adaptability
- Organizational skills
- Time management
- Problem solving skills
- Sound knowledge of safeguarding and health & safety issues in relation to children and families
Family workers may travel distances to different site locations. Staff may also travel to several job trainings. Staff are also expected to be able to travel to enrolled student’s homes for required Home visits at least two times each school year for each student enrolled.
East Side House is an Equal Opportunity Employer - AAP/EEO Statement
ESH encourages people with disabilities, minorities, veterans, and women to apply. Applicants and employees will not be discriminated against on the basis of any legally protected category, including sexual orientation or gender identity. EEO/AA/Vet/Disability Employer.
Employee’s will sign the statement constituting employee's understanding of the requirements, essential functions, and duties of the position.
- The Lead Teacher position requires prospective candidates must hold a NYS certification license from N-6/ B-2nd
- For interns, who are in your education department BS/MS for our classrooms, and those who are studying Human Resource or liberal Arts program, to work with the Family Services department.
- Monday through Friday, between 8am to 6pm, hours subject to change based on agency needs.
Requisite Education and Experience:
- High school diploma or GED, college experience preferred.
- Experience with community related services.
Please email your resume and at least one reference letter, preferably from a Professor to: Johanna Torres, Education Director of Winifred Wheeler at the East Side House Settlement HS/EHS.
Phone: 718-993-3692 Ext. 415
Additional Contact Information at the East Side House Settlement:
Dawn Hewyard, Deputy Director of Early Childhood - firstname.lastname@example.org
Martiza Chavez, Director of Administration - Mchavez@eastsidehouse.org
Faheem Pollard, Director of Family Services - FPollard@eastsidehouse.org