While we work hard to keep our tuition affordable, we understand the burden of paying for a graduate education. Touro offers these scholarships for eligible students to help you with your tuition.
The Martha & Dr. Anthony J. Polemeni Scholars Program
For: New students in any GSE program
Award: $5000 applied to the recipient’s Touro account
What we’re looking for? A passion for teaching and a personal vision for educational research to apply.
- You will need to submit an essay, video, and recommendation letter
- You will be required to present your research project in person at Touro University’s Campus in Times Square
- You may submit only one application.
- Application Deadline: December 31
Essay: The purpose of the essay is for the committee to “hear your authentic voice.”
Applicants are required to write an essay between 750 to 1000 words on any of the following topics.
A Defining Moment in Your Professional Journey to becoming an Educator
Prompt: "Every educator has moments that affirm their decision to enter the profession, whether it's a breakthrough with a challenging student, or a class project that exceeded all expectations, or the decision to change professions. Describe a defining moment from your experience that influenced your perspective on education as a career."
Addressing Diverse Needs in Your Classroom
Prompt: "Diversity can take many forms in a classroom, from varied learning abilities to different cultural backgrounds and language learning. Share a specific experience where you adapted your teaching methods to cater to the diverse needs of your students. What did you learn from this experience, and how did it impact your teaching philosophy and classroom practice?"
The Most Challenging and Rewarding Aspects of Your Professional Experience
Prompt: "Education is a profession filled with highs and lows. Reflect on your time in the classroom in any role or in your professional career and discuss the most challenging situation you faced and how you overcame it. Additionally, share your most rewarding professional experience. How have these experiences collectively shaped your outlook on education?"
Bridging Personal Practice with Pedagogical Research
Prompt: " Reflecting on your own experiences and aspirations, propose a research project unique to your professional practice that you believe would deepen our understanding of effective education practices. Discuss how this research has relevance to the broader education community, and the potential transformative impact it could have on classrooms, schools, communities, and/or student outcomes.”
- The essay should be typed in 12-point Times New Roman.
- Please put the prompt you chose on the title page.
- Between 750 and 1000 words.
- Submitted as a Word Doc or PDF.
- Ensure your name, contact details, Touro student ID, your chosen prompt, and the program you are enrolled in at Touro University, GSE are on the title page.
- Essays will be assessed based on clarity, coherence, originality, personal insights, and connection to the prompt.
- The purpose of the video is for you, the candidate, to share your passion for education.
Submit a 1-2 minute video in which you:
- Share what excites you most about education. Discuss potential research you are interested in pursuing as a scholarship recipient. As a scholarship recipient you will need to create, research, and deliver a personally designed and executed research project in your field at GSE.
GuidelinesThe video should be clear with good audio quality.
- Make sure the video is no longer than 2 minutes.
- The video can be creative but should remain professional and focused on the topic.
- Upload the video to a platform like YouTube, Vimeo or Google Drive and provide the link in your application.
- Set sharing to accessible.
A recommendation letter from a principal or professional familiar with the with you, the candidate, is mandatory.
- Discuss your strengths or teaching skills, leadership, or research potential and prospective for success in the graduate program at Touro University, GSE.
- Be on an official letterhead, signed, and dated, with a phone number to reach the recommending party.
- Be in PDF format.
The funds will be disbursed throughout the academic year (two semesters) as a tuition subsidy.
The Sebel Family Scholarship
For: School Leadership candidates who meet eligibility requirements
Award: $1000 applied to the recipient’s Touro account
- Currently enrolled in the Touro GSE School Leadership Program
- Completed 15 credits with a GPA of 4.0
How to Apply:
Application is by invitation, so once you’re notified, we’ll let you know where to send the application materials. But this is what you’ll need:
- Submit a written statement of 400 to 500 words describing how you expect to use the knowledge, skills and competencies gained from the leadership program to positively impact the p-12 student population in your current place of work or in the future as an appointed school leader.
- Provides two recommendations from the following:
- One from a Touro School Leadership Program instructor/professor indicating your demonstrated ability as a master’s degree candidate
- One from a current school/organization leader describing the positive impact you have made in your school, organization, or community
Eligible candidates will be informed of the application and selection process in the spring semester, due dates to be determined. One recipient will be awarded the scholarship based on a review of the application and recommendations by a committee of faculty from the School Leadership Program.