Fieldwork is the first step in putting into practice what you have learned in the classroom.
If you are in a NYS Department of Education approved institution and your principal approves your completing hours there, you can move forward to begin logging your hours shortly after registration closes, before the semester begins.
You will not be able to complete your field experience in the same grade level for both General and Special Education fieldwork, because you have to complete fieldwork in two different grade levels.
Verification Letters: Your program advisor will provide signed letters that you can present to your principal for fieldwork verification. If your school administrator or school district requires additional information, please download and share the syllabus/course guides. The Office of Clinical Practice can provide additional verification for your school, if needed. In order for OCP office to provide a verification letter, you must provide the name of principal, principal’s email address, school’s name and address and course# in an email to OCP@touro.edu.
Early Childhood -Birth – Grade 2
EDSN 682 - Field Experience and Practicum I in Early Childhood General and Special Education, Birth-Grade 2
- Non-certified teachers: approximately 50 hours in general education at either the birth-preK, K, or grade 1 or 2 level. This is not required for certified teachers.
- Non-certified teachers: approximately 100 hours in special education at a grade level not covered in the 50 hour general education experience. Certified teachers: 50 hours field experience with students with disabilities.
- Total fieldwork hours for non-certified teachers is 150, and 50 for certified teachers. This course – between fieldwork and practicum – requires total 250 hours for non-certified teachers, 100 hours for certified teachers.
- EDSN 682 Field Exp and Practicum I Course Guide
Elementary School- Childhood Education
EDSN 694 - Field Experience in General Education and Special Education, Grades 1-6
- Non-certified teachers: 50 hours in general education at either the grade 1, 2, or 3 level or the grade 4,5, or 6 grade level. Certified teachers must do 25 hours.
- Non-certified teachers: 100 hours in special education at the grade level not covered in the 50 hour general education experience. Certified teachers must do 25 hours.
- Total for non-certified teachers is 150 hours. For certified teachers the total is 50 hours and each of the 25 hours, general education and special education, should be done at different grade levels
- EDSN 694 Field Experience Course Guide
Secondary School Education, Grades 7-12
SEDN 675 - Field Experience in Special Education, Grades 7-12
- Non-certified teachers: 50 hours in work with students with disabilities at the grade 7-9 level and 50 hours in work with students with disabilities at the grade 10-12 level, for a total of 100 hours.
- Certified teachers complete 25 hours at the grade 7-9 level and 25 hours at the grade 10-12 level, for a total of 50 hours.
- SEDN 675 Field Experience Course Guide