The Master’s degree in Literacy is ideal for educators and full-time professionals who are interested in becoming literacy specialists.
Students who complete the program will fulfill the academic requirements for New York State Certification in both Birth-Grade 6 and Grades 5-12.
All applicants to the MS program in Teaching Literacy must have:
- Completed a baccalaureate degree from an accredited academic institution (official transcript must be submitted).
- A minimum grade point average of 3.0 (on a 4-point scale).
- Prior state certification in any area of teaching.
- Quality of writing as evidenced in a statement of intent
- Minimum of 550 (213 on the computer based test) on the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL). This requirement applies to an applicant whose native language is not English. It may be waived provided there is alternative evidence of proficiency in English.
- NY State no longer requires applicants who enroll in our graduate-level teacher education and leadership programs to pass the Graduate Record Examination (GRE) or other nationally normed equivalent admission tests. However, standardized test scores for GRE/MAT and CST Multisubject State Certification exam, may be submitted for a holistic review of your application. Applicants who present MAT scores will be asked to complete a writing sample administered by Touro. Touro's GRE test code is 2902 and MAT test code is 3346.
The above criteria will be applied flexibly provided there is alternative evidence of aptitude for graduate study.
Ready to Apply?
Visit admissions to find out how to apply and start your application.